- Led by Friends of Haida. Commemorative event, ship closed. Timing TBD.
Language Ambassador Days – evening and weekend dates, from last weekend
in May to end of June (dates and number of events TBD)
- Targeted at newcomers
- Volunteers fluent in Spanish, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Ukrainian being
recruited specifically for these events
- May include shifted schedule to allow for evening version of this event
Opening Weekend – May 20-21 (Victoria Day weekend)
Training Weekend for summer students and Parks contract hires – May 12-14
- Joint OHS training on May 13 including refreshments – timing TBD
Battle of the Atlantic – May 7
- Ceremony conducted under Gantry Crane led by HMCS STAR 2-3 PM.
- VE will dress ship and possibly fire A-Gun
- Jetty area will be open incl. FOH gift shop – would 10 AM work for Friends?
- Standard guided tour to be offered at specific time slots (11 AM, 12 PM, 1 PM, 3:15 PM) to public.
Her Majesty’s Royal Races event – April 23
- Third-party event led by VR Pro (Frigid 10 and Frosty 5, Chilly Half)
- Haida’s sirenette will be used at the start of the race
- Spotlight tours of the bridge available by advance booking request
Celebrating 80 years – 1943-2023 – Gala Dinner
(Dress: Mess Kit or Formal Attire (Black Tie Optional)
2023 is a very special year since we are commemorating the 80th anniversary of His Majesty’s Canadian Ship HAIDA
The Friends of HMCS HAIDA are currently organizing a spectacular Gala Dinner & Fundraiser to celebrate and showcase HAIDA on Saturday, August 26th, 2023, and you are cordially invited!
Spanning 80 years, HAIDA, has served Canada and the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) from 1943 to 1963, participating in World War II, the Korean War, and the Cold War. Her battle honours and awards are the stuff of legend! Named for the Haida Nation, she now proudly rests in Hamilton as a National Historic Site and as the flagship of the RCN.
To make the Gala & Fundraiser the best possible celebration, we ask for your generous support by buying tickets for friends and family or by becoming a corporate sponsor.
Join the Friends of HMCS HAIDA for a splendid evening at The Scottish Rite, 4 Queen St S, Hamilton, ON, to honour the history, legacy, and triumph of Canada’s “most fightingest ship”.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Individuals and Corporate can join us by choosing from among the following support options;
Are You Joining From Out of Town?
Friends of Haida is pleased to offer you hotel rooms at a negotiated rate. To take advantage click on the button below.
- Voices of the Battle of the Atlantic – Stories from the Crew of HMCS TRENTONIAN with Roger Litwiller, Canadian Naval Historian – Thu, Mar 31, 2022 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT – Register Now!